Monday, February 23, 2009

Valentine's Day

Have you ever seen the Wedding Singer? If you have, you'll remember the part where Adam Sandler sings Love Stinks during a wedding reception after having been stood up at his own wedding. It's pretty hilarious in my opinion, and pretty far fetched. (I've added the click for your viewing pleasure.) I know we have all experienced heartbreak and have truly felt that love does indeed stink. And it seems that the heartbreak is only accelerated when it comes to Valentine's Day. Am I right? Well, for all those people who hate Valentine's Day because of the mushy gushy poems, flowers, and loves songs- I have to say that Valentine's Day isn't only for sweethearts. It could be a day to show people, not just a significant other, how much you love or even like them! Our cousin Jake is an amazing example of this. (Jake if you're reading this, forgive me for sharing). He recently gave the advice to spend Valentine's Day doing random acts of kindness for people who might need some extra love or attention. He explained that this was a way he found joy. Wow. How would the world be if people stopped caring only about themselves and their own circumstances and started looking and acting more on the needs of others? I'm obviously not a perfect example of this and I am extremely blessed to have a sweetheart of my own but it certainly opened my eyes to the many around me who suffer the pain and heartache of lonliness. Anyway, thanks Jake for your example and love for others.
One more thing! Thank you to my Mom who always made every holiday fun and special, including Valentine's Day. I've always loved this day. You've always made me feel very special and loved and I realize how very lucky I am to have you.

2 comments:

steph said...

My favorite is the girl/guy who sings with Adam Sandler during the song. So funny.

Thanks for sharing. What an interesting take on Valentine's Day. I ought to be more generous with serving others.

Anonymous said...

Awww -- Kim you're so sweet!!

Sweet Video